I always thought that the idea of getting more joy from giving than receiving was one of those lies or half-truths adults tell to try to teach you a lesson. There was nothing more exciting growing up than waking up early (or being woken up early by brothers), waiting at the top of the stairs until everyone was ready, and finally seeing the Christmas tree with what seemed like a mountain of presents under it (my parents wisely kept almost everything hidden until after we went to bed on Christmas Eve).
As I grew up and started earning my own money I began getting excited about getting gifts for others. It's great to see a big smile on someone's face and know that you're the reason it's there. Buying gifts for my family is one of the coolest things ever. I love the planning, the careful budgeting (though I wish I didn't have to be quite so careful), the shopping, the wrapping, and, of course, the unwrapping.
I'm still way excited to see what I'll be surprised with. But I'm more excited to see Macy on Christmas morning. (Josh won't be too exciting this year, but I definitely enjoyed getting his gifts.)
Here's a video from last Christmas. I can't believe how much this little girl has grown up in the last year! Those little curls almost make me want to crop her hair. (Don't worry, Mom, I said almost.)
3 more days!

1 comment:
I bet it was so fun!
Post a Comment