Getting Macy to see a doctor has been ridiculous. The pediatric clinic here is a joke. (Not the funny kind.) When we finally got our PCM assignments I called to schedule the appointment, but the doctor couldn't see her for a month. We went in for our appointment today. It was scheduled for 7:45 and we got there at 7:50. When we got there we learned that you're supposed to arrive 15 minutes early and if you're more than 5 minutes late for an appointment it will be automatically rescheduled.
Does anyone else find it crazy that you have a five-minute grace period when you're seeing a doctor for a baby? A million things could make you late and they're not even the least bit understanding? And we did arrive barely within the five-minute window, but they were unflinching. There was no one in the waiting room, they clearly weren't busy. I've been to those appointments before and the doctor is with you for about five minutes. She couldn't spare that time?
I was never informed of the cancellation policy, I didn't get a reminder call for the appointment, and every time I've called the clinic I've been treated like an idiot. So now we'll see the doctor on May 28th and Macy will be nearly 8 months old for her 6-month well baby visit.
So what have we learned?
- Enroll your family in DEERS as soon as possible. You have to enroll in DEERS before you can sign up for Tricare.
- Remember that when you relocate you'll have to switch Tricare regions before your new PCMs will be assigned.
- Call to make appointments as soon as you get your PCM information, no matter how long it is before you need your next appointment.
- Make sure you ask about their cancellation policy.
- Just because it's a medical clinic doesn't mean it's not the military.
I probably just need to calm down. I'll work on that.
2 comments:
That sounds awful! I'm sorry!
Meg - This is not unique to the military. I think it depends on the Dr. We have showed up only minutes late for one of McKinley's appointments and (although we got to see the Dr.) we waited for almost 1 hour before they called our name and we were little more than 5 minutes late. There is a such a double standard, they don't have to keep their appointments (even when you are on time you can wait 10-15 minutes before they get you in) but when you are late there is no excuse good enough!
Post a Comment